Color and the Cover | Joy Media, LLC

Joy Media, LLC

Creating a book is a somewhat lengthy and love-filled project.  That's two reasons why I love this business.  It takes awhile to get your book done the way you want it, but with careful nurturing, you'll have an item you can treasure, well, for the rest of your life and some.  It will undoubtedly be passed on to the next generation.

Right now, we're working on the cover to "The Joy Journal." Take a look.  This is our third color change.  And I think it's still a little too pink, what do you think?

For comparison, here's how it started, a little more purple-y.

They may seem like minor changes, but covers are key.  A cover is the face of the material you are presenting.  While it's popular to say, "don't judge a book by it's cover," a cover does give detailed hints about what's inside your book.  It's something that takes a lot of t-l-c (tender loving care).  It takes time and a lot of thought to pick the right cover.  Do you have any thoughts on this one?

Written by Geri Hearne — July 10, 2013

Comments

Beverly Monical:

I like the purple one the best. It attracts my attention faster. This is a great tip too because I am in the process of writing a book too.

July 12 2013 at 07:07 AM

Suzie Cheel:

Great discussion- maybe somewhere in between although i like brightness of the pink- it is full of life the purple is lifeless to me

July 12 2013 at 08:07 AM

Flo Braldey:

Love the Purple too. But the placement of the title at the top in the pink version is more striking.

Like Beverly I am also writing a book.

July 12 2013 at 08:07 AM

Anne Allen:

Purple is typically my favorite color—however, I agree with Flo that the pink cover is more striking and inviting to me as well.

July 12 2013 at 09:07 AM

marquita herald:

Welcome I’m definitely not the best one to vote here because I really hate pink. I did want to add that I like your design very much, but (whatever color you use) it could standout a bit more. I don’t know if you’re doing to offer it just here, or publish it to Amazon. If you’re going to publish it, you’ll definitely want to have more contrast for it to stand out in the sea of other books.

July 12 2013 at 02:07 PM

Terry :

Either works for me but I would probably be attracted to the more purple one .

July 12 2013 at 09:07 PM

Michele Lewis:

I personally am drawn to the purple one. My personal experience of joy is calm. I know, that others experience their joy in a different way and that the pink would draw them. Color really does say a lot about the book. Is your book leading people to a certain type of joy, like the bubbly kind, or is leading us to our unique joy? Those would be questions I’d ask myself. Also, when it comes to the final decision, you’re own inner-knowing will know when it is right for you. If you still consider it too pink then keep changing the color. You’ll have a sense when the cover is the perfect representation of you and your book!

July 13 2013 at 04:07 PM

Tamara:

Colour is everything!! With so many colours to choose from, it is important to understand what the colour represents. Research the colour and see if it fits to what you are trying to portray. Good luck with the book!!

July 14 2013 at 10:07 AM

Kimba:

I like the graphic of the purple, but the color on the pink…I think pink is usually associated with joy, so that fits your title. One suggestion: check to make sure how it will look in a small thumbnail – often covers are only featured as a thumbnail and that white writing might not show up too clearly on a small thumbnail.

July 15 2013 at 04:07 PM

Kate Lindsay:

So many great suggestions here. Lots to consider.
My initial reaction draws me to the pink but I think its because I find the graphic to be more uplifting. The purple has a more downward focus and feeling to me. Good luck! I am sure that when you find the right one you will know it completely.

July 15 2013 at 08:07 PM