Our New Intern Makes an Impact | Joy Media, LLC

Joy Media, LLC

"Leadership and learning are indispensable to each other." -- JFK

I anticipated the arrival of Joy Media's first intern, a senior at Northwestern University's Medill School of Journalism.  Yeah, pretty fancy.  But still, a kid, I thought.  After all, she's my son's age!  So, I prepared the information I would share with her about my home business, detailing the projects I wanted to tackle.

The doorbell rang before 9 a.m.  Prompt.  Great, I thought, we're starting off on the right foot.

From "hello, how are you" to an hour before it was time for Jeanne to leave, I realized I never got to my list!  This capable professional woman hit the ground running.  When she left, my two websites were connected with links about me and about my company, a new page was created for testimonials, and I learned about a Korean grocery that I will visit in the near future.

So, what's my takeaway?  For one, leadership seems to be more about listening and sharing than about controlling the agenda.  And for two, I know how to spot talent.  :)

Written by Geri Hearne — July 03, 2013

Comments

Suzie Cheel:

Wow sounds like you attracted a gem there- how wonderful . yes i agree that today good leadership is about listening and sharing

July 05 2013 at 07:07 AM

Christina:

That is amazing! I’m not used to hearing such wonderful stories about interns, so it’s nice to hear something positive and unexpected. Love when things work out and are in the flow :)

~Christina

July 05 2013 at 08:07 AM

Nathalie:

Great post! I’m glad you had such a nice experience with this new intern. What a great idea and a fine way to delegate the more tecnical aspect of your busness. Will she be coming back to do other things for you or was it a one time thing? I love to know more about how you went about finding her ;)

July 05 2013 at 08:07 AM

Jacqueline Gates:

Sounds like this young lady is going to go far. And isn’t it interesting how our perception of leadership can change in an instant?!

July 05 2013 at 10:07 AM

Jacs Henderson:

How brilliant Jeanne could help you out so quickly and efficiently – just a fresh perspective, and some quick fixes were put in place. Good for you for inviting that help into your business – and I hope you’re reaping the rewards Geri :)
Jacs

July 05 2013 at 04:07 PM

Susan Blakes:

Geri,
What a wonderful experience. Not to be taken lightly, but I firmly believe you attract what you are so it would have been a surprise if your experience had been anything other than what it was. Congrats to you and your more-than-capable sounding intern!

August 17 2013 at 07:08 AM

Welcome

Joy Media partners with authors. We help you tell your inspirational story through books, CDs and DVDs.

We do the work and you own the product; setting the price, holding the copyright and receiving the goods. You have total control. This is true "Self" Publishing.

Our clients are self-motivated. They want to work quickly and professionally.

You may decide to partner with us to market your book.

Latest Tweets